How to Properly Clean A Bong
Smoking from a glass water pipe known as a bong leaves resin that slowly builds up over time. It causes a sticky residue on the side of the glass. If left alone, it’ll render the bong useless. It also dilutes the taste of the cannabis and discolors the water.
Leaving your bong dirty allows bacteria and mold to grow in the water, which could lead to health problems. However, the things you need to clean your bong can be found in your home, but there are also products available on the market made specifically for cleaning bongs. We’ll be explaining how to clean bongs; here’s what you need to know.
How to clean a bong
To clean a bong, you’ll need dish soap, isopropyl alcohol, coarse salt, a sponge, cotton swab, paper towels, bottle brush, and zip-top plastic bag.
- Disassemble the bong, remove the bowl, mouthpiece, and other parts. Pour out any dirty water and rinse with clean water
- Fill the water chamber with isopropyl alcohol, leaving a small space. Add two and three tablespoons of coarse salt. The isopropyl alcohol acts as a disinfectant that cuts through oils in the resin, while the salt acts as an abrasive
- Cover the top of the bong with your hand and shake vigorously and let it soak for 10 minutes
- Throwaway the solution, wipe the inside of the bong with a paper towel or a bottle brush if its too narrow
- Rinse the inside with water, shake and pour out the water, repeat as needed
- Clean the outer parts of the bong with dish soap and a sponge
- To clean the loose parts, you need to remove any debris, especially in the bowl. Soak the pieces in a zip-top bag filled with isopropyl alcohol and a few tablespoons of salt for 10 minutes
- Shake the bag, rinse the pieces with clean water and let dry
How to clean acrylic or latex bongs
When cleaning a latex, acrylic, or plastic bong, you have to be careful. Use hot water and a pipe cleaner or a straw brush. Avoid using alcohol as it can break down or strip certain latex or acrylic materials. Pour hot water into the bong and rinse it; repeat until the water runs clear. There are also acrylic or latex-safe bong cleaning solutions.
How to clean a silicone bong
Silicone bongs are quite easy to clean, but methods used in cleaning glass bongs may be too harsh for silicone options; there are ways on how to clean a weed bong without using alcohol. Here are a few ways to clean your silicone bong.
- Soap and water method: Use mild dish soap and warm water to safely and effectively clean your silicone bong. Take apart your bong, setting aside the small pieces. Rinse the bong with hot water, add dish soap and use a bottle brush to scrub any resin in hard-to-reach corners. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and leave it to air-dry on a dish rack.
- Dishwasher method: If you own a dishwasher, you can dismantle your bong and place the small piece on the top rack. After that, run a wash cycle. If your bong has a glass bowl, you’ll have to clean it separately. Rinse the piece after you’ve removed it from the dishwasher to get rid of any residue.
- Freezer method: Another way to remove built-up resin is by freezing it. Rinse the bong with water, letting water coat the surface. Place the bong in the freezer for hours. When you take it out, bend the silicone to remove the frozen resin from the sides and dump out the dirt. You can rinse with soap and water or follow with the dishwasher method until it is completely clean.
Tips to keep your bong clean
- Do not allow water to sit too long in your bong
- Keep your bong away from sunlight
- Use salt to remove stuck-on resin
Cleaning your bong is important for your health. While there are options that promise to leave your bong clean and shiny, salt and alcohol work quite well. It can be a sticky job, so wear gloves and avoid dumping the dirty water down the drain.